The advent of war saw land on Daws Road being used for the establishment of a military hospital. Centennial Park was seen as an obvious destination for those patients who succumbed to their illness or war wounds.
In 1942 the Centennial Park trustees set aside two military sections, one for Australians and one for American and other allies. The first interment into the war grave section occurred on 1st April 1942.
The two war graves sections exist today with a total of 198 interments spread over both sections. The positions were originally marked with temporary wooden crosses before the current permanent memorials were progressively installed by the War Graves Commission being commencing in 1947.
The war cemetery was never expected to be an area that would continually expand, therefore the War Graves Commission deemed that the official interment period ended on 31st December 1947. As a result no further burials were to take place in the war cemetery after that date.
Cross of Sacrifice
Unveiled on the 5th September 1948 The Cross of Sacrifice at Centennial Park represented the first post-World War II site to have a Cross of Sacrifice.
The Cross of Sacrifice is a Commonwealth war memorial originally designed in 1918 and representing war cemeteries containing 40 or more graves. The height of the crosses erected at all war cemeteries is determined by the number of graves and ranges between 18 to 24 feet.